The year that was.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Parturition (also known as labour).
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
None to keep, and none made at the moment.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well besides myself, my sister-in-law had her second baby, and three old and four new friends all had babies too.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Poland for a conference, then tried and failed to get to Italy (bloody volcano) but other than that just bummed aorund the UK.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Some money to study the Miskitu before they all get westernised, and some more sleep would be shiny.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
26th of August, not going to forget that in a hurry!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Thing is, (almost) anyone can have a baby just with a bit of unsafe sex; on the other hand, I don't think just anyone could get 7 papers submitted and write two grant proposals in the same year. But then I'm not nearly as proud of that as I am of just having the good fortune to win the genetic lottery with Thea.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Didn't get the miskitu grant despite it being the best thing I ever wrote.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I've had a cold for the last ten days.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The memory foam mattress topper which kept my hip bones from getting too painful for months after everyone else's!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
James for talking me through a mostly unmedicated labour and then spending half the night up with a baby who refused to sleep horizontally.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The British public for not seizing the opportunity, Journalists, for subsequently failing to cope with nuance and compromise, and my local MP for lying on her campaign leaflets and getting away with it.
14. Where did most of your money go?
We knocked a chunk off our mortgage in order to switch to an offset account.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Politics, work and babies, in chronological order.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Always a Woman
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Same I think.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Much fatter, but apparently women in my family don't lose baby weight until after lactation stops. *sigh*
iii. richer or poorer?
Same - decrease in expenses now we're cohabiting balances out my temporary loss of income.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Dinner parties, while I could! And also - skin-to-skin coy bonding in Thea's first week.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing about things I couldn't control.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With JAmes, Thea and my parents at home. Quiet but very nice.
21. Favourite item of clothing?
My wedding dress which I managed to wear once more before my waist dissappeared at a fancy Valentine's Dinner
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Oh yes, I cannot be denied that it is like a new romance in many ways.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
The Pillars of the Earth, and Big Bang Theory. Hard to choose as they are the televisual embodiments of my personal obsession, and all my friends, respectively!
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
As befure, I try not to hate people; it's not a helpful emotion. Certain swathes of the media, politics and finance make me purse my lips very firmly though, even more so than last year.
26. What was the best book you read?
Kushiel's Chosen. V gripping, if you can skim over the S&M..
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The latest Cara Dillon album, and her fantastic performanes.
28. What did you want and not get?
My Miskitu grant.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
I watched 'Brokeback Mountain' for the first time this year and was pretty blown away.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 31 although in my head I'm still 30. We had a tea party at home with lots of mocktails.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
32. What kept you sane?
James at the hardest points, and my friends when he got the flack.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jake Gyllenhaal - gay coyboy or Persian prince, he's pretty damn scrummy,
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
As always, everyone I care about and don't see much anymore, but mostly Phil, Kat and the nieces who I haven't seen since May and I usually see them once every few months.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
It would be too cheesy to answer that!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Just like my own physiology, babies don't always do what the books say.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Yet again, "It's been a hard day's night"!
(James says: "And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while." Which is also very true.)